Thursday 14 June 2012

DIY Crochet Earrings

diy crochet earring

I'm always slow to pick up trends. In browsing through crafty blogs for tips on perfecting my layout and increasing traffic, I find myself making a mental list of all the projects that I'd love to do someday. I've been particularly drawn to the Crochet Earrings tutorials, and since most of said tutorials dated back to 2006 or so, I just had to give it a go sooner rather than later. It was shockingly easy, despite the fact that I haven't crocheted anything since I was kid. I didn't even have the right size needle hook for the thread, but I didn't let that stop me. It just means that the final result (pictured above) is a little bit looser and lacier than it could have been. I'm hoping the over all effect is more boho chic than granny. That probably depends how they're styled. My top tip is to use drop earrings that don't require jump hoops and, therefore, no pliers! Just slip the earrings onto your crochet motif, et voila! Please feel free to leave comments with links to better more crochet earring tutorials. Tomorrow I'll be sharing what I've decided to do with my remaining crochet thread (hint: it involves knitting)!

Supplies
Crochet thread
Smallest crochet hook you have. I used a 2mm, but smaller is better!
Darning needle
Sharp scissors
Two drop earring hooks. 
Starch and an iron (optional)

Soundtrack
Bat for Lashes, Two Suns

Abbreviations
sl st - slip stitch
ch - chain 
sc - single crochet
 
Pattern
Leave a 4" piece of thread tail. Make 8ch and join with a sl st to form a ring.

Row 1. Into ring work: (1sc 2ch) counts as first dc, 13 dc (14 in all).
Row 2. Work (1sc 2ch) into first dc, work 1ch 1dc into each dc of row 1. (= 14dc and 13 1ch spaces.
Row 3. Work sc over first 5 stitches of the row 2. Work 3dc and 1ch into the next three dc of row 2. Work sc over last 6 stitches of the row 2 and across the top to the starting point.

Using your darning needle, tuck both loose ends of thread into the thick middle loop of the motif so as to hide them. Snip off ends with sharp scissors.

You have the option to spary starch and iron your motifs flat and stiff, but I skipped this step.

Slip your drop earring onto the top of the earring and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment